We’re wired that way.
No seriously, we really are. In fact, recent research has shown that women’s brains are wired differently than men’s. This research has confirmed what many of us suspected. In females, wiring in the brain goes between the left and right hemispheres, suggesting that they facilitate communication between the analytical and intuition. (Think great memory, multi-tasking and group solutions.)
In men’s brains, the wiring is front to back suggesting their brains are structured to facilitate connectivity between perception and coordinated action. (Think singular focus.) (Read more here.)
What this means to us, ladies, is we are meant to be communicators.
We talk. We listen.
So when I was setting up my girls’ weekend spa day, I knew I had to plan for lots of communication time.
Since my girlfriends carved out precious time away from their families to get together and unwind, I needed to make sure we made the most of our time together. I asked Katie at Zanté Spa, located at the Deer Valley Plaza Building, to help me plan a morning of relaxation and rejuvenation with the girls. As a pro at creating special pampering experiences, she gave me a few tips.
Here are five of them:
1. Take over the place. Since you and your girlfriends don’t get together as often as you like, you want every moment to count. Zanté Spa was able to book our appointments so that we had the place to ourselves the whole morning. We’d welcome any other spa visitors, of course, but having “just us girls” made it feel so welcome and cozy. We were able to employ “no filter” conversations which is what girls’ weekend is all about.
2. Build in transition time. Katie scheduled our treatments with plenty of time for lounging in-between. Instead of feeling rushed and checking our watches, we were able to relax as some of us were getting done with our treatments and others were getting started. As a Type A personality who lives her life by the clock, I appreciated the no-stress attitude. This is one tip many of us can apply to all areas of our lives – I certainly will.
3. Customize your experience. We brought in some special fruit plates, juices and appetizers to complement the selection of goodies the spa provided. Don’t laugh but we also brought some “lighter” reading – fashion magazines! The spa supplied some wonderful reading material, but be sure to bring in whatever makes you feel comfortable whether it’s a special book or a fashion magazine.
4. Linger. When your spa day comes to a close, don’t rush out. After a few hours of Zen space and total relaxation, we didn’t want to just bolt out the door. We needed some transition time to step back into the world. The ladies at Zanté Spa, suggested we linger. They also had menus on hand for us to review some choices for our next stop – lunch at Deer Valley Grocery~Café.
5. Treat yourself to something special – you deserve it. Try something new to enhance your experience. My girlfriends who had massages tried a Japanese energy technique called Reiki integrated into their massages and felt fabulous afterwards. I tried the restructuring and soothing facial called Vital-Elastin which included a facial massage with the exfoliation and dry brushing. This was a new experience for me and my skin appreciated it!
So remember when planning your event, girls talk.
Just go with it.
Do you or a family member need a retreat or special getaway or do you have questions about our girls’ weekend? Connect with me on Twitter @nancy_moneydiva and @Deer_Valley. Click the links for more information on; lodging at Trail’s End Lodge, spa services at Zanté Spa and menu options at Deer Valley Grocery~Café.